Applies to brains.app platform.
Users who can do this: All Users.
The Range is a Live widget that displays the latest metric value in the context of its pre-defined performance ranges. It is best suited to visualize Key Performance Indicators that may call for different decisions depending on their position within the range (e.g. "Low-Low", "Low", "Normal", "High" or "High-High").
Below you can see an example of the Range widget, where the current value is indicated by a black triangle to the right from the ranges bar.
To add the Range widget, please follow the below steps:
- Click on the Plus icon(Add Widget) from the dashboard toolbar located in the top-right corner of brains.app window as shown below.
2. In Select Widget Type screen select Range widget from Live type as shown below.
3. In the next Widget Configuration screen we can configure all Range widget parameters including title, significant figures, size and data slots as shown below.
4. First step is to set a title for the Range, optionally set Significant Figures and Size parameters as shown below.
5. Next step is to define a group of metrics to display in the widget. This is done by assigning each metric of interest to a different Slot within the widget. Each Slot will be displayed as a separate bar on the chart.
6. Marked by red in the above picture is Slot's name which will appear in the legend for the Range widget. Slot's name will be auto-generated based on asset name or can be manually edited using Name edit window in Slot Options panel.
7. To assign asset to Slot 1 you first find it in Assets panel, select it (marked by green in the above picture), and then click on Asset window in Slot Options panel (marked green as well). Selected Asset name will be copied automatically.
8. To assign metric to Slot 1 you first find it in the Metrics panel, select it (marked by blue in the above picture), and then click on Metric window in Slot Options panel (marked blue as well). Selected Metric name will be copied automatically.
Note: list of metrics in the Metrics panel is filtered by an asset currently selected in the Asset panel.
9. Repeat the same process for all metrics you would like to see in Range widget, create a new Slot for each new metric using the Add Slot button. Each time you complete the Slot definition please click the Update button at the bottom of the Slot editing panel. This allows you to see a preview of the new widget in the Preview panel at the bottom of the screen as shown below.
10. For the Range widget to provide sensitive information it is necessary to configure performance ranges for all metrics you are interested in tracking Live. Performance ranges for a metric exist in the context of a particular asset and are done via Asset Metric Admin screens.
Below is an example of performance range configuration for metric "Rake Torque" in the context of asset "Thickener 1".
Let's see How to configure the metric's performance range for your asset?
- Navigate to Asset Metric screen by clicking the Wrench icon on the left panel, then selecting Asset Metric Admin in the drop-down menu.
2. Click on Pencil edit icon for an asset of interest, in our case it is Thickener 1, to navigate to a list of metrics for this asset as shown below. Note: please user search window to narrow the list and quickly find your metric.
3. Next step is to click on the "Add Ranges" icon as shown above to navigate to the ranges configuration screen. You can define all ranges by adjusting values for Min, Low-Low, Low, High, High-High, and Max limits values.
4. Once the configuration is complete, please click the Confirm button to apply your changes. To visualize values you have configured please hover over the performance bar in the Range widget to see upper and lower limits for a particular range as shown below.
11. Once all data Slots are defined (and performance ranges configured) you can use the Save button at the bottom-right corner of the Widget Configuration screen to add a new Range widget to your dashboard.
Note: By default, widget size is set to smallest. Please use Size controls in the widget configuration menu to adjust its appearance on the dashboard as shown above.
Learn more about different widget types (Analysis, LIVE, Statistical, Advanced, and Interactive).
- How do I add and manage dashboard widgets?
- What is brains.app dashboard and how do I add a new one?
- What is an Asset Hierarchy in brains.app?